Why Give Blood?
Blood Donations Saves Lives
Blood is vital for life and for many people, blood donors are their lifeline. Currently, it is thought that only 1 in 30 people give blood, but 1 in 3 people will need blood in their lifetime. Every week, the Port Moresby General Hospital needs approximately 400 bags of clean blood to assist those in need. To collect that many donations the blood bank team will screen approximately 800 volunteers each week as not everyone who volunteers will be able to donate due to various health reasons.
Blood can only be stored for a limited amount of time before use which is why there is a constant need for regular blood supply. Regular blood donations by a sufficient number of healthy people are needed to ensure that safe blood will always be available. Modern processing techniques mean that your single blood donation when separated into its components (red cells, plasma and platelets), can help at least three different patients by making vital products
Want To Become A Regular Blood Donor?
Blood is the most precious gift that anyone can give to another person. The Port Moresby General Hospital Blood Bank is open 7 days. Walk on in between 9am and 3pm any day.
Want to get involved in the Youth Blood Drive?
Contact us today to get your school involved. Need to know more? Take a look through our website or contact us for more information.
Want to get involved in the Corporate Blood Drive?
Want to sign up your business/company in the 2016 Corporate blood drive and donate blood
Who Does Donated Blood Help?
Women with complications of pregnancy, such as ectopic pregnancies and hemorrhage before, during or after childbirth.
– Children with severe anemia often resulting from malaria or malnutrition
– People with severe trauma following accidents
– Surgical and cancer patients
– Transfusions for people with conditions such as thalassaemia and sickle cell disease
– Blood is used to make products such as clotting factors for people with haemophilia
Want to Know if You are Eligible to Donate Blood?
Most people are able to give blood if they:
Are fit, healthy and not suffering from a cold, flu or other illness at the time of donation or in the previous 7 days.
– Are aged between 16-60 years
– Weigh at least 50kgs
– Drink at least 3 glasses of water/juice in the 3 hours before donating blood
– Eat something in the 3 hours before donating blood